The Bo Bun is a Vietnamese dish based on beef – Bo means beef in Vietnamese, Bun means vermicelli. It’s pretty easy to cook, once you get the hang of it obviously! The Ga Bun is a similar dish where beef is replaced by chicken – Ga means chicken in Vietnamese. Let’s have a look now at the recipe of this healthy and very good dish!
For the dish base:
- 8 spring rolls
- Chicken or beef – 1 escalope or 1 steak per person
- 3 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of curry
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 pack of rice vermicelli
For the sauce:
- 2 nuoc mam sauces – sauce for spring rolls that can be found in supermarkets
- 4 glasses of water
- 2 glasses of sugar
- 1/2 glass of vinegar
For the dish presentation:
- 300 g of soy bean sprouts
- 2 carrots
- 1 cucumber
- Mint, Cilantro
1. Meat preparation:
- Cut the meat in thin slices.
- In a bowl, stir together the soy sauce, the curry and the garlic cut in thin pieces. Add the meat into the bowl, mix and leave the bowl in the fridge for 20 to 30 minutes to marinate. In between, prepare the rest of the sauce!
2. Sauce preparation:
- In a saucepan, mix the nuoc mam sauce, the water, the sugar and the vinegar. Make sure you do not add everything at once so that you can taste and adjust the sauce according to your preferences.
- Make it boil. In between, prepare the meat, spring rolls and vermicelli.
3. Meat, spring rolls and vermicelli preparation:
- In a saucepan, make some water boil and cook the vermicelli according to the instructions given onto the pack – it gets ready in a few minutes only.
- In a pan, cook the meat for a few minutes according to your tastes.
- Put the spring rolls in the oven for a few minutes until they get brown.
4. Guests’ bowls preparation:
- In the guests’ bowls – yes, you don’t eat this dish in plates but in bowls – put the lettuce first, then the soy bean sprouts, the carrots and the cucumber cut in thin cubes. Then add the vermicelli, 2 spring rolls cut in half per person and the meat.
- Add mint and cilantro onto the top of the dish.
- Pour the sauce onto the whole.
It’s ready! Once you get used to it, this recipe can be done very easily. Bon appétit !